Monday, April 30, 2012

Turning a corner

Fussiness is supposed to peak at 6 weeks.  Clara turned 7 weeks on Sunday.  I'm not sure if she's buying into that research or if she's responding to my dairy-less and soy-less diet, but all of a sudden we have a new baby!  There are still bouts of fussiness of course, and this is all very recent  - but we had a solid two hours without fussing yesterday afternoon, lots of smiles this morning, and she even put herself to sleep for the first time this afternoon while I was in the shower!  Go Clara! 

We do need to work on sleep with her, though. We finally broke down and bought a cosleeper yesterday since she usually migrated to our bed within a few hours of being put in the bassinet.  (A cosleeper is basically a bassinet that is missing a side, so it can go right up against the bed and I can reach in and put my arm around her while we both sleep.) She is not a deep sleeper this one, and she really likes to be cuddled while she sleeps.

Here are some of her smiles, although I still haven't captured her full on, eye-crinkling smile.






Clara was also on good behavior last weekend for our trip to Connecticut.  She did a wonderful job on the plane, only fussing the last 10 minutes of the last leg - at which point I was pretty fussy too.  She was an angel during the service, which was lovely.  It gave a great and true picture of my grandmother - elegant, feisty, smart, driven, loyal, and a snappy dresser to boot.  I think she would have been pleased.  I'm glad I got to go and be a part of it, and see so many relatives who I haven't seen in years.

Grady and Daddy were busy while Clara and I were gone!  They went to two playgrounds, saw some music, ate pizza, and went to the Children's Museum - all on Saturday! - and then helped out Grady's school with some garden planting on Sunday.  If Matt finds the time, he will write a bit about the fun weekend. 

Grady has embraced his two-ness this past week with lots and lots and lots of boundary testing.  Matt and I are working hard at staying calm and not getting frustrated.  A glass of wine helps quite a bit - the joys of not being pregnant anymore!

But Grady is also a lot of fun.  He is really into diapering right now.  He likes to stack diapers, take them out of the package, put them on his animals, etc.  He was playing with his diapers in the other room while I was in Clara's room.  I heard him say "Santi, no!  Don't shut that!  I'm using it!" (Santi is his friend from school.)  I said "Everything all right in there Grady"?  A small pause.  "Yeah!  Talking to Santi!"

The other day he came home from a jog with Matt.  He went immediately to the closet where we keep our tools, took out a screwdriver, and got to work on taking the batteries out of his zoo.  Matt said "He was so authoritative about it, I didn't even think to stop him!"  Grady then said in his serious voice "Need a tape measure," went back to the closet, emerged with a huge candle, and set it on top of the zoo.  Realizing that wasn't quite right, he returned it to the closet and got back to work with the screwdriver.



And he has gotten so good at the playground structure, climbing all the way up a chain ladder to the top!   



But Clara is giving him a run for the money - here she is practicing her tummy time.





No comments:

Post a Comment