Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer swims, first scrapes and first steps!

Well, okay, step

Summer is finally showing itself in Portland.  Matt, Grady and I took advantage yesterday with a trip to our local community pool.  Grady took swimming lessons back in the winter, but hasn't been in a pool since.  He took to the pool - well, like a fish to water I guess!  Or, at least a fish who doesn't like to get his head wet.


The pool is great, because rather than steps or a ladder to get into the pool, the pavement just goes gradually slopes down until you're in the pool.  I think Grady will love it even more once he is stronger on his feet, because he pretty quickly runs out of navigable water when on his belly.  As you can see, Grady was also quite taken with the fountains.



We stayed in until Grady started shivering - it was a definite success!


Today at daycare Grady had his first real spill.  They have a little mini-skateboard there that Grady loves to scoot around on.  Apparently it got out from under him and he face planted on the driveway.  (This was prefaced to me by Amy when I got there as: "Grady had a little skateboarding accident" - I certainly didn't think I'd hear that statement at 14.5 months!)  Poor little kid was pretty scraped up, and I think the scrape under his eye might turn into a little shiner. 

Here I told him to look sad when I took his picture.  Even though you can't see the scrapes that well, I'll include it since he looks so... sad!





And a less adorable shot.


Grady has been doing lots of exploring out the driveway down the street.  He likes to push his little shopping cart or just abandon it and do the bear crawl.  I think all that practice has really helped his walking.  He's been walking holding on to just one of our fingers. 

Then tonight he was playing against the striped couch with the cat toy with Bessy.  Grady put the cat toy in his mouth and was quite pleased with himself and wanted to come over to show mommy and daddy how silly he was being.  The problem was, the couch he was leaning against wasn't QUITE within stepping distance of the couch we were on.  Now normally he would get on the floor, crawl the step, and stand back up.  But today he very carefully let go and took a step over to us!  It was pretty exciting.  I was actually just getting out the video camera to video him playing with the cat, but I missed it by a few seconds. 

One last thing before signing off.  I was giving Grady a bath yesterday and got up to blow my nose.  A few moments later, Grady started blowing raspberries while putting his washcloth up to his mouth.  It took me a minute before I figured out he was imitating me.  He must have thought I was pretty strange for doing that, but I guess he felt who was he to judge!

No comments:

Post a Comment