Sunday, January 22, 2012

Movin' out

We're in our last week at our temporary house.  Although the renovation isn't quite done, we are eager to be back and it's close enough!  The big things left to be done are painting (in process), the rug in our bedroom, installation of fixtures, toilets, appliances, and basically the entire front porch.  We're optimistic that a lot of that will be done by Saturday when we get back in - except perhaps the porch.  We cannot wait!

I've been saying to Matt that I need to write a post every week, because every two weeks I know I'm forgetting tons of stuff.  But with packing for the move, jobs, Grady, pregnancy, and miscellaneous other stuff, it's hard to find the time.  So bear with me as I do my best to remember the highlights of what's happened.

Matt was gone in New York the week before last.  Grady decided that would be the perfect time to begin testing boundaries. (I'm told this phase should get better in about 20 years.)  We're trying hard to set clear boundaries, follow through, keep our patience, and do all those other things you're supposed to do. Grady has a terrible poker face, so it's very obvious when he's looking for trouble, so we can sometimes head it off at least.  We will have plenty of time to practice! 

We had snow in Portland last weekend!  Although folks got a few inches a few hundred feet higher up than we did, we didn't get much accumulation - and the one time we did was for about 30 minutes while Grady was napping.  But we did get to see some snowflakes falling, and at daycare (which is slightly higher elevation) there was enough snow to make a little snowman.  Here's Grady outside checking out the falling flakes.



My two handsome guys!
Besa was feeling a bit left out.



Grady's had a couple choice "Besa Nos!" My two favorites were: "Besa no!  Mine poop a toilet!"  and "Besa no!  Mine take a shower!"  He had another funny "no!" yesterday when Matt and I went to pick out light fixtures.  Could be incredibly boring (for all involved, but especially Grady I suppose), but at the store they have a little play structure with benches and toys.  It's pretty wonderful, really.  Anyway, Grady was sitting on the bench and I was reading him a story.  An older boy came over and sat right next to him, really invading his space.  Grady looks at him and says "No! Mine bench! ...  Boy!"  The "boy" was so derisive.  I tried very hard not to laugh - especially since the boy's mom was within earshot.

Grady has been cracking us up with his pretending.  He loves to play "football," which means lying down on the floor and saying "I got it!"  He also likes to pretend various blocks or trucks are filled with drinks - usually coffee.  Grady is actually quite the coffee fiend. Don't worry -this is empty.


That story that he and Matt are so thoughtfully recounting is the time - earlier on the day Grady got sick back in December, so like 6 weeks ago - that I was trying to load Grady and a bunch of bags into the car and spilled my entire cup of decaf all over the car and the ground.  They sure love to tell that story, those two....  I guess it is slightly preferable to recounting the story of Thomas throwing up.

Grady's also been singing a lot lately.  He still remembers and sings his first composition - "Tractor, huge tractor, garbage truck song," and is starting to add more of a melody to it.  He's VERY into a local band called the Alphabeticians, and refuses to sing the real version of ABCs now, preferring to sing their version of the alphabet set to the tune of "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf."


Grady's trying really hard to learn to jump.  He practices a lot, but it still looks suspiciously like his dance move - stomping one foot.  I'll post a video once I can capture it.

And finally - wow!  Tessa/Tess is the overwhelming winner with about 63% of the vote!  Clara and Paige tie for second at 18%.  Doesn't the Besa/Tessa thing bother anyone else?  We are still working on a name, but it's helpful to hear what you all think!  I've been feeling okay.  I had a rough week when Matt was gone with various pregnancy-related discomforts, but am feeling pretty much back to pregnant-normal now.  I'm getting some insomnia, and am usually up for at least an hour somewhere in the 4 AM range, but am not yet feeling too worn out from it.  I'm starting to get really excited to meet her, whatever her name is.

1 comment:

  1. so many things to say to all of this: first, finally reading your blog again confirms how much I miss you! Second, you know what spilling coffee makes me think of . . . and finally, I met the cutest little 8-year old named Tess recently that I will belatedly jump on that bandwagon.

    p.s. SO excited that I get to come see you in June :)

    ReplyDelete