Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Awake to Nap

My friend Susie bought Grady a beautiful children's book called "Awake to Nap." It's a book that has a picture and words that start with the first letter of that picture, but it's really artistically done by a mother while she was at home nursing her baby. Anyway, I sort of feel like our days have become "Awake to Nap," as we've started trying to get Grady into a sleep routine.

Matt and I read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, on the recommendation of our good friend Cat who has two kids of her own (and who is such a fantastic resource for me right now!). The big take-away for me at this point is that babies need to sleep within 1-2 hours of waking or they will get over-tired. Grady has been going sometimes 4-5 hours without a nap, so that was a bit of a wake up call. (Ha! No pun intended.) I think it is good for Grady to get into a routine, but it has been hard for me. I feel like I never see him, and when I do see him I am either feeding him or getting him ready for his next nap. I'm sure it will get easier as we both get used to it and as it starts to take less time for him to fall asleep once I put him down.

This last time I tried to put him down, he was obviously tired but not having any soothing. I left the room for a minute because I was feeling frustrated and didn't want to take it out on him. I thought he would start crying as soon as I left. However, I've been listening to him on the monitor for the last 25 minutes talking to the animals on the mobile! Anyway, Grady is sleeping so well at night, so I really have nothing to complain about - it's more me being selfish and missing my baby during the day!

Here are a few cute pictures of Grady from earlier today playing with his kick toy. He still really loves it! I think he's figured out that when he kicks it makes the noise, because he really gears up for kicks!





And here's a picture of him getting really good at tummy time (but still really frustrated he has to do it). He came close to rolling to his side a few times.



Finally, here's Grady wondering who this handsome devil is.

No comments:

Post a Comment