Monday, July 5, 2010

July 4th

Yesterday I ran the Sauvie Island half marathon, and I was lucky enough to have Grady and Matt come to cheer me on! It was especially lucky that Matt drove, because the traffic was so awful getting onto the island that, despite leaving 1:45 minutes to get to a place 20 minutes away, I had to get off before the bridge and run the final two miles to the start line! Luckily they pushed back the start from 6:45 to 7 or I would have missed it! It was also especially lucky that Matt came because he captured a few great pictures of Grady spectating.







Other than the horrible traffic, it was a really nice race. We'd never been to Sauvie Island before, but we want to go back. It seems to be mostly farm land, pick your own berries, that sort of thing. It feels much further away from Portland than it actually is. Well hey, maybe because it took 2 hours to get there! The race went okay. I was really in no shape to be running a half marathon (let alone 15 miles when you include the frantic scurry over!), but I finished in just over 2 hours. It was about 25 minutes worse than my best time, but I felt okay with it given the shape I'm in. Here is a shot of me and Grady celebrating after the finish.



Grady deserved a medal for getting up so early and being such a sweet boy all morning. So here he is relaxing with mine post-race.



We've added a new activity to our roster - looking at the adorable baby who lives in the mirror. Grady sure thinks that baby is cute! Here's a video, and then some stills of him looking at the mirror on his play mat.











Grady managed to sleep through the noise of the fireworks last night. Not sure of the science behind being able to sleep through fireworks but not floors creaking. This 4th of the July is the first time I've cursed the fireworks - I normally love them! - but every boom would make me worried! Matt made the good point that we have turned into a bunch of old curmudgeons, in bed at 10:30 grumbling about the noise!

1 comment:

  1. Grady just keeps getting cuter! And congrats on running the half marathon. I just signed up to run my first half in Philly in September. Nervous and excited all at once.

    ReplyDelete